First and foremost, if anyone is injured, provide immediate first aid assistance and call for emergency services.
Exchange your name, address, telephone number and insurance information with the driver of the other car(s) involved in the accident.
Write down the following information:
- The date, time, and place of accident
- Description of how the accident occurred
- The name and address of owner of the other automobile
- The other driver’s Social Security and/or driver’s license numbers
- The names and addresses of all passengers and witnesses
- The license plate numbers of the other vehicles, including witnesses
Promptly report the accident to the nearest police station and complete any necessary incident reports.
Cooperate fully with the police, but do not make any admissions about your responsibility in the accident. (Do not admit that it was your fault, even if it was!)
Report the claim to your insurance agent immediately. For minor accidents, you can complete our online loss report or contact the insurance company directly.
Do not sign any statements for anyone other than an authorized representative of your insurance company or agency be sure to request identification.